We will invest to expand the local capacity of alternative provision, to ensure all children are given every chance to achieve and pursue meaningful education or employment.
- We will invest to expand the local capacity of alternative provision, to ensure all children are given every chance to achieve and pursue meaningful education or employment.
- A teachers’ National Leadership Scheme will be introduced designed to ensure the best leadership talent reaches our most deprived areas, and remains supported when they get there.
- Arbitrary limits on pupil exclusions shall be lifted, enabling Headteachers to maintain high standards of behaviour in schools.
- Ofsted inspection will be reformed to abolish the current public grading criteria, which can make retention and recruitment even harder, ensuring no school is harmed by an Ofsted inspection but is instead supported to improve.
- School league table criteria shall take greater account of provision and outcomes in music, technology, and the arts to give parents more information when choosing schools.
- All state schools, where possible, shall take part in a ‘Daily Mile’ exercise programme for all staff and pupils.
- The importance of healthy nutrition will be emphasised in the curriculum and implemented in school. In state schools, the sale of sweets and sugary drinks will be banned, fresh fruit will be provided during break times, and practical home economics will be taught at secondary level.
- Fee-paying schools will be encouraged to offer more free places.
- We will invest in opening a new generation of on-site welfare and support hubs that will work with schools to ensure vital support services get quickly to those children and families who need them most.
- Free school meals will be provided to all state school-educated children during term time only.
- All children will receive instruction in the workings of the UK constitution, and a broad familiarisation with British history. History teaching will be honest, while making the balanced case for Britain’s important and net positive contribution to world history.
- Outside English and Mathematics, we will rebalance the way schools are assessed to accord equal value to technical and vocational courses as to academic subjects, provided that a healthy balance of both technical and academic courses is offered.