We will invest in new farming technologies, encourage local food consumption, and revitalise Britain’s fisheries.
- After recovery of the UK’s territorial offshore fishing rights the government will assist in securing investment in a revitalised UK fishing industry.
- Post-Brexit support for agriculture will prioritise investment in new technology as a means of moving UK farming gradually away from reliance on subsidies. Land-based education (agriculture, forestry, horticulture, engineering) will receive new investment.
- Minimum standards for mobile telephone and internet connectivity shall be secured in rural areas through a combination of investment and operator regulation.
- Funding for regional and rural bus travel will be increased in order to protect the viability of and patronage on essential routes.
- Financial incentives will be provided to farmers, local authorities and other landowners to initiate carbon capture schemes including tree planting in suitable locations.
- Public bodies such as local authorities, schools and hospitals will help establish Local Food Ecosystems by sourcing food directly from local producers.