The ecological and demographic challenges of the 21st century require international coordination… We believe the UK must lead by example in being at the forefront of global action to combat climate change and pollution from plastics and other sources. Government must incentivise business to develop new environmentally friendly technologies.
- The SDP is internationalist and will honour and comply with our global environmental obligations.
- Direct incentives shall be introduced to encourage a switch to environmentally friendly products.
- We shall develop and strengthen existing government plans to make the UK a global leader in carbon capture and storage.
- We shall mandate energy efficiency into the planning and building regulations system.
- Best practice in the food packaging and food retail industries will be mandated by law to reduce plastics pollution.
- A 25p charge will be levied on disposable cups, refundable on return to a recycling bin and mandate that all cups returned to such bins must be recycled.
- Financial incentives will be provided to farmers, local authorities and other landowners to encourage UK tree planting and afforestation.