We will return natural monopolies and utilities to public ownership, and ensure a robust and environmentally conscious energy mix.
- The contribution of nuclear energy to Britain’s electricity mix will be increased from 12% to 40% by 2035. We will renew our existing nuclear plants and develop new large-scale Generation IV reactors and small modular reactors. Planning rules for the approval of new nuclear facilities will be streamlined.
- We will re-nationalise power supply and distribution via a new body, ‘British Energy’ which will also be responsible for implementing the UK’s energy strategy, and the underwriting and construction of new power generation plants and infrastructure.
- British Energy will develop a regulatory framework to support UK gas fracking and carbon capture and storage subject to adequate environmental assessments, and for so long as natural gas remains a necessary part of our energy fuel mix.
- We support the commitment to phase out petrol and diesel cars and replace them with electric vehicles served by on-road smart-charging which does not add to peak power load.
- We will allocate £3bn for the creation of dedicated lanes for bicycles, speed limited e-scooters, segways and other low-emission vehicles. These will be designed to minimise adverse effects to car traffic flows.
- Expenditure on heat pumps, insulation, household solar panel systems and double/triple glazing by registered suppliers will be tax deductible at the basic rate.
- Research into battery technology, hydrogen, nuclear energy, tidal, and low-energy transport will be supported by £4bn of additional funding.