From government to the police, from universities to schools, the politicisation of Britain’s institutions in the service of fashionable ideology is leading to a loss of faith in the pillars that uphold our society.
- Police and Crime Commissioners will be abolished. The oversight of policing will be the responsibility of Police Authorities comprising elected members from local government together with co-opted members from police unions, victims groups, the NHS and the Fire Service.
- Cannabis shall remain illegal for recreational use but licensed derivatives shall be permitted for medical treatment.
- Community policing shall be prioritised and frontline police numbers shall be increased by 20,000 throughout the parliamentary term.
- Legal aid shall be maintained to ensure all that need it can be represented fairly and equally.
- Increased investment in the prison system, to ensure justice for victims of crime, containment of criminal activity and rehabilitation.
- Better protection and support will be secured for blue light service workers on and off duty, including the reintroduction of police housing within our communities.
- Leadership roles will be developed within prison governance to include current or former Headteachers with responsibility for ensuring a high quality education is offered to all, and ensure support and development is offered by the local education authority where required.