We support an active Industrial Policy. Britain urgently needs a strategy to improve productivity and to provide a long-term planning framework for the skills, technologies, energy resources and transport infrastructure required to support businesses.
- Our railway system will be nationalised. Rail operator franchises will be taken back into public ownership as they fall due via a re-established British Railways.
- British Railways will be a comprehensive, fully integrated system encompassing track and infrastructure, rolling stock and stations.
- A Minister for Rail will be introduced, responsible and accountable for making the system work for the public and passengers.
- We will scrap HS2 and invest some of the freed-up funds to create a Great Northern Railway Network, better linking up the towns and cities of the North of England to unleash their joint potential.
- Funding for regional and rural bus travel will be increased in order to protect the viability of and patronage on essential routes.
- VAT on motor vehicles costing more than £35,000 will be increased to 25%.
- An ‘Oyster card’ type system shall be introduced in every UK Region.