We believe the state has lost confidence in its own capacity for direct provision and intervention in the service of the nation. We believe that out-sourcing – as a tool to avoid democratic responsibility – has strayed well beyond its useful limits.
- No public sector employee should be paid more than the Prime Minister. Going forward, all new local government and quango employment contracts shall be subject to this limit.
- All local government elections will be held under proportional representation.
- A system of unitary local government will be established in each county and metropolitan district.
- Parish and Town Councils will have an enhanced role in their local areas.
- Councils will have more direct responsibilities in the fields of transport and public housing.
- Police and Crime Commissioners will be abolished. The oversight of policing will be the responsibility of Police Authorities comprising elected members from local government together with co-opted members from police unions, victims groups, the NHS and the Fire Service.
- A National Corruption Office will be established with full investigatory and prosecuting powers to deal with public allegations of fraud and corruption in local government.