We believe Britain must play a leading and constructive role within the UN, NATO, the WTO and the Commonwealth.
- The SDP strongly believes in maintaining the UK as a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council.
- Undertakings made to NATO in respect of national defence spending shall be maintained.
- In general, the SDP opposes the idea of intervening in countries with a view to imposing western styles of governance by force.
- The SDP would scrap the commitment to spend 0.7% of GNI on overseas aid. The target is arbitrary, it has undermined public support for worthwhile aid and has led to wasteful spending.
- The Department for International Development will be abolished and its activities absorbed within the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.